What does that mean?
Goddesses it means so much on so many different levels.
Leadership is both a research area and a practical skill, regarding the ability of an individual or organization to “lead” or guide other individuals, teams, or entire organizations.
But before you can do that you have to first know what a Leader is…
The position or function of a leader, is a person who guides or directs a group: He/She managed to maintain his/her leadership of the party despite heavy opposition. Synonyms: administration, management, directorship, control, governorship, stewardship, hegemony.
Now it’s time to check your skills, on how to become a Leader if that is what you desire.
You need to recognize the Leader in YOU!
- Recognize and eliminate behaviors and/or bad habits that will hinder your success. (Bad behavior and Bad habits will get you know where. Understand that!)
- Address conflict promptly and directly-like a leader. (Don’t be a PUNK, stand your ground, but without violence. Let you words always be spoke in truth and don’t be intimidated!)
- Speak up in meetings without hesitation. (Believe and have confidence in what you say and have the knowledge to back it up!)
- Push back diplomatically when requests and deadlines are unreasonable. (Let your yeah’s be yeah’s and your no’s be no’s; if you can’t do it, don’t want to do it; then say that! Don’t say what people want to hear!)
- Ask others for feedback and use it to grow and develop yourself. (Be able to take corrective criticism and ask for help! Don’t be prideful!)
- Deal decisively with behavior problem people in your life who will hinder you. (Either deal or don’t deal, just cause she been your friend since 6th grade don’t mean that she can be eliminated if she is a hindrance to your growth!)
- Build your own system for motivation that will inspiring to you. (Everyone wants to be the best at whatever they do, but sometimes you need just a little extra motivation; read your favorite scripture, quote; listen to your favorite song; whatever motivates you!)
- Find a sustainable balance between your work and personal life. (Balance, balance, balance; you are a leader so you have to lead by example. If your life is all in disarray, what will the people who you are leading think? Balance is healthy living; set schedules, deadlines etc. know when to turn it off and when to turn it back on; both at home and at work!)
So now that you have realized that you are a leader. Here is the next step…
Be seen by others as a Leader!
- Bossy…moody…emotional… Honey don’t let those words bother you, overcome the labels women sometimes saddled with. (If that’s what they want to say, let them say it. You know who you are… and that is a LEADER!)
- Create you, brand you, and strip back the layers of who people think you are, or think you should be. (Be defined by who you know you are, and that’s a Leader; in whatever you create for yourself!)
- Honestly assess where you need improvement- even small changes play a big part of leadership. (If you know you are unorganized, get help and work on doing better in that area!)
- Be prepared for gender/race bias… (Goddesses know matter what, we know that there are still some people out there like this… (HATERS) therefore we have to be steps ahead at all times; stay prepared so that you don’t have to get prepared! Be ready, on time and prepared; physically, mentally, emotionally and most of all spiritually!)
- Stop trying to ‘fit in” (The benefits of being who you are, is what’s going to make you successful! Don’t change your standards and/or morals for any one!)
- Understand your leadership role and style; play into your strengths and downplay your weaknesses. (Let your strengths speak while you are developing your weaknesses!)
- Don’t be concerned about being liked. Be concerned about being respected. (If your words are always spoken in truth and you have the knowledge to back it up; people don’t have to like it but they must respect it!)
- Increase your listening skills and visibility. (Be the Watchmen on the wall; when everyone else is laughing and kicking back; you continue to listen and watch; stay alert, don’t fall for the banana in the tail pipe; that could be sitting right next to you laughing and kicking it with you, but at the same time trying to figure out how to knock you off your square!)
- Be slow to speak and quick to hear, don’t be an over explainer and talky-walky, basically. (Just because you think you know, or think you got it figured out; don’t just start talking and explaining; pay attention, listen, hear, then think before you speak; so that when you speak, it’s wise and precise and just enough to get your point across! No more, No less)
Since you’ve assessed where you stand in leadership, here’s the final step…
Where to go from here? You can only go UP!
- Mentors, Mentors, Mentors; you can have more than one, in fact you should. (Get with someone who you feel comfortable with; someone who is more successful than you and is willing to help you grow; let them take you under their wing and show you the ropes. They’ve been there and done it; now it’s your turn!)
- Know your vision and create a vision statement that defines your purpose and guides your future! (Make it short and make it plain; let your word be in truth and make it personal and passionate!)
- Expand your possibilities! (Don’t pigeonhole yourself or allow others to; if you believe it; you can achieve it!)
- Passion: don’t turn down your passion; turn it up! (Passion is one of the top qualities of being a leader, because when no one else believes in it; you will!)
- No loafing around! (Be diligent in what you are doing; seek out new opportunities, don’t be afraid to take risk; take charge and prime yourself for change and promotion!)
Well Goddesses that is all I have; you are now on the road to becoming a true leader and overcoming the obstacles and challenges that you may face while rising to the top!
May God bless your success!!!